[BRLTTY] ubuntu livecd

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Tue Oct 30 05:35:59 EDT 2007

Hi,

> >> 2. If I don't have a serial port what connection should I use?
> >
> > You can use a USB to serial adapter. These can be found almost anywhere
> > and Linuxx supports a lot of them.
>
> That will work with the bn?

Yes, from a braille display point of view it makes absolutely no
difference whether you use a genuine serial port or a serial port as
provided through a USB->Serial adapter. The only thing that will
change is the device used to communicate with the braille display. If it
is connected to the computer trhough a traditional serial port you will
use something like /dev/ttyS0, whereas if it uses a USB->serial
adapter you access it via /dev/ttyUSB0 or something like that.

> >> Also is it possible to use braille in a gui?
> >
> > This is what orca is used for.
>
> Orca talks as well. So orca has all the drivers for braille to? You
> don't need brltty for access to braille in a gui?

Orca does not have the drivers for braille devices built into it. It
talks to brltty, which in turn talks to the braille device. Similarly,
whan a key of the braille device is pressed, it is caught by brltty and
then passed on to orca.

hth,
Sébastien.