[BRLTTY] performing a make on BRLTTY (fwd)

Christopher Gray chris at bayareadigital.us
Mon Sep 3 17:43:36 EDT 2007

Hi Samuel:

Thanks for that explanation.  The explanation and syntax were very helpful and
worked great!  I can now see everything altogether and it's really a help.

The make goes through lots of steps working well until it tries to work with
python.  I've checked and definitely have the most recent version of python and
python-pyrex.  However, there's no python.h I can find anywhere on the Linux
system.

      find / -name python.h -print

finds nothing. This appears to be at least the first problem at hand to resolve.

Here's a part of the listing with a little extra just before and after the
first error listing.  Before this are only messages, no warnings or errors.

gcc -Wall -Wl,-export-dynamic -o apitest apitest.o cmd.o charset.o lock.o program.o options.o misc.o sys_linux.o io_misc.o -L. -lbrlapi -ldl -lpthread -lsupc++
gcc -Wall -Wl,-export-dynamic -o xbrlapi xbrlapi.o program.o options.o misc.o sys_linux.o io_misc.o -L. -lbrlapi -lXaw -lXt -lXtst -lXext   -lSM -lICE -lX11  -ldl -lpthread -lsupc++
set -- Python; \
 	for language \
 	do (cd ./../Bindings/$language && make all) || exit 1; \
 	done
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/chrisg/brltty/Bindings/Python'
cd ./../../Programs && make api
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/chrisg/brltty/Programs'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `api'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/chrisg/brltty/Programs'
set -- --quiet build --build-temp .; \
 	[ "linux-gnu" != "mingw32" ] || set -- "${@}" --compiler mingw32; \
 	/usr/bin/python ./setup.py "${@}"
brlapi.auto.c:4:20: error: Python.h: No such file or directory
brlapi.auto.c:5:26: error: structmember.h: No such file or directory
brlapi.auto.c:29: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘PyObject’
brlapi.auto.c:30: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘PyObject’
brlapi.auto.c:31: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
brlapi.auto.c:32: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token

In etc/python there is a single line that says:

      byte-compile = standard

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are two kinds of output: standard(1) and error(2) output. > (aka
> 1>) only gets the standard output. For getting both in a file, run
>
> make > aa 2>&1
>
> Which means "make standard output to aa, and make the error output (2)
> to the same as (1)", so that you get both mixed. For pipes, use
>
> make 2>&1 | more
>
> Samuel

Christopher Gray, President
Bay Area Digital

Promoting good health with great technology

Bay Area Digital
870 Market Street, #653
San francisco, CA 94102
Phone:  (415) 217-6667