[BRLTTY] Braille tables versus contraction tables.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Apr 28 12:20:43 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2008/04/28 at 11:11 -0400]

>> If we use contraction tables in place of the strictly one-to-one text tables,
>> what are your collective thoughts on the one major difference that contraction
>> table support splits braille windows on word boundaries whereas text table
>> support doesn't?
>
>Could you precise what kind of thoughts you're after?

It's simply that there is that difference and I'm looking for ideas. When
reading contracted braille one typically doesn't want a partial word at either
end of the display so, if the last word doesn't fit, the software backs up to
the nearest word break. When reading uncontracted braille, however, one
typically wants the break from one braille window to the next to occur wherever
it happens to be, including in the middle of a word. It'd be a shame to have to
keep the two types of tables just because of that simple usage difference.