[BRLTTY] usb to serial problems

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 29 03:45:22 EDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Dave Mielke wrote:

>> what should I ask for next time I go to the shop?
>
> I assume the USB->Serial converter has a male conector on it. Is that correct?

yes
Both ends.

> What kind of connector is on the BrailleNote?

A male.

> Didn't the BrailleNote come with a serial cable?

It did, that is what I have been using with ttyS0, but how does that help
with a usb to serial connection?
My new box does not have a serial port on it.
That is why I'm trying to set this up.

>> brltty: checking braille device: serial:ttyUSB0
>> brltty: checking for braille driver: bn
>> brltty: initializing braille driver: bn -> serial:ttyUSB0
>> brltty: serial device opened: /dev/ttyUSB0: fd=8
>> brltty: timeout after 100 milliseconds
>> brltty: braille driver initialization failed: bn -> serial:ttyUSB0
>> brltty: braille driver not found
>
> This (a timeout, i.e. no response) could easily be a serial cable mismatch
> problem.

So, brltty or linux actually recognises my cable is connected and I am
giving it the right port? (ttyUSB0)
Does this mean I need to get another cable?
Or do you have any other suggestions?

thanks for your help!

Cheers,

--