[BRLTTY] Cut & paste

Nicolas Pitre nico at cam.org
Tue Feb 5 09:55:09 EST 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2008/02/05 at 14:21 +0000]
>
> >> What should be done with leading blanks when lines are wrapped the way vim
> >> does, i.e. after the line number?
> >
> >Which line number?  By default vim doesn't show any line number.
>
> With "set number", i.e. with numbers displayed, vim wraps so that the area
> beneath the number is blank, i.e. all segments of the line start at the same
> column.

OK, just tested that.

I think that when performing a linear cut, all blanks surrounding a line
break should be collapsed into a single blank.  This would handle the
numbered vim case just fine as well.  In the case where a long line is
wrapped on screen but not on a blank character then the second portion
of the line will still be preceded with a blank in the numbered mode,
but turning that mode off prior performing the cut, or simply going back
to delete the extra blank once the buffer has been pasted, should be an
acceptable compromise for keeping the cut behavior generic enough for
the common case.

Nicolas