[BRLTTY] Choosing a suitable braille display

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Feb 17 17:24:39 EST 2008

Hello,
I am in the process of choosing what equipment I will need for my work,
and a braille display is one of the items. May be someone could give me
an idea of which ones work well with brltty (any work particularly well,
or any which don't work very well although having a driver) (as I will
be using Linux as part of my job), or generally what the different ones
are like to use. May be in giving me any information, may be you want to
read the extra information below.

I am not new to braille displays, I used a ALVA 544 traveller whilst at
university, and have got on with that very well. I have heard that alva
have been taken over or something, so not sure if the ALVA displays can
still be bought.

I may also use a notetaker device, but ideally I want to try and keep
the notetaker as small as possible (I won't always use the braille
display with the notetaker), so quite like the look of the voice sense
and the syncbraille. The only thing being that the syncbraille is not
currently in the list of displays supported by brltty (brltty 3.9). ~Any
plans for it to be supported? Also for use with a computer (programming
will be done as part of the job) is the limited size (20 or 32 in the
case of the syncbraille) a problem/limiting? Will I need to consider
having the braille display for the notetaker separate from the braille
display used for the computer?

When I asked about the usability of the different types, its that the
ALVA navigation buttons (up down, scroll left and right) are on the
front edge and operated by the thumbs, where as the first thing I
noticed about the braillient I saw recently has its navigation keys on
the top at the end of the braille cells (can't imagine any way to
operate these with thumbs).

Look forward to any feedback.

Michael Whapples