[BRLTTY] BRLTTY on Asus Linux questions

J.Schöber info at masterid.de
Wed Feb 27 13:55:44 EST 2008

Hi,
You don't need additional soft- or hardware to control the linux terminal. No screenreader apart from brltty required.
You should see a message like BRLTTY 3.7.2 on the display when the program starts usually when booting.
You could try a debian installation cd it has recognition for many displays built in and you'll have braille display working even when installing.
I am not sure what display it is you are using. It is Baum Vario Connect 40? The Baum displays use serial interface for connecting in any case. USB is just a usb to serial converter usually fanufactered by ftdi and driven by ftdi_sio.ko. Look for presence of this module and also usbserial with lsmod.
I would go for rs-232 connection since you reduce chance of error.
Also take a look at the file brltty.conf in /etc/
Good luck
And no. Never had this exact setup working but it will work somehow.