[BRLTTY] OT: Free OMR to braille music translator project

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sat Jan 19 09:28:25 EST 2008

Hi.

I recently had a chance to play with Optical Music Recognition
software under Windows.  There are various products that can scan a page
of music and export in MusicXML format.  So the hard part (the actual
OMR) can be done by the application of choice of the user (there
is even a free software OMR program written in Java).

Currently, as I see it, there is only one software product
to convert notation data to braille music, namely goodfeel from
dancing dots.  This is windows only software.
I just looked at the MusicXML format that these OMR programs export,
and it doesn't actually feel too hard to extract meaningful
data from that.  Notes are already nicely groups by measures,
which is what we need for braille music.
I am now contemplating to write some little framework for working
with musicxml data especially geared towards blind users.

If anyone is interested in this topic, please
contact me of list.  I am trying to figure out if we can create
a small team of people working on this.  At this stage, people
interested in contributing code and design ideas are
most needed.  Braille music is very complicated, so people with actual
experience reading complicated pieces in braille music are also very
appreciated.

--
CYa,
  Mario