[BRLTTY] Working with braille characters in console mode?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Mon Jan 21 18:21:10 EST 2008

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Mario Lang, le Mon 21 Jan 2008 17:49:45 +0100, a écrit :
>> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
>
> Grmbl, it looks like I somehow sent the same patch. Here is hopefully
> the correct one.

Wow!  This is extremely cool!  I love it, and will immediately start
to use it.  For testing purposes, I loaded up
your fonts, configured a UTF-8 locale (also ran unicode_start since
I didnt want to reboot).  Emacs, my primary editing environment
offers a function `ucs-insert' which can insert unicode codes.
This is what I use to print 0x28uv chars to my console screen.
There is just one bug I can immediately see, if I enter 2800,
I see a question mark ('?').  All other dot combinations seem to work.  Also,
I am not really sure bit I guess cut&paste is also not working.  This is
understandable and I can live with it, but ultimately it would of course
be cool to work too.

I do have a test webpage which uses unicode braille to
describe braille music notation briefly in a portable way.
This page apparently at least works with w3m.  lynx and links both
seem to have problems printing the unicode braille correctly, but
w3m does it just right, see for yourself: http://delysid.org/music/braille.html
Note that this page works right for everyone (if unicode
is configured), for sighted readers who will see the dots instead of
some weird ascii chars, and for blind people no matter what
translation table they might happen to use.  music braille is international
and mostly translation table independent (AFAIK), so in this example, the
benefit of unicode braille shows all the way through.

Dave, any chance of this patch getting accepted?  Although it probably
feels like a hack, it is indeed very useful IMO.

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'