[BRLTTY] no more java --but no install either!

Peter Korn Peter.Korn at Sun.COM
Fri Jun 13 13:41:51 EDT 2008

Hi Hans,

FYI - OpenOffice.org uses Java for accessibility on Windows because when
we began making OpenOffice.org accessible in 2000 there was no
accessibility API on Windows with sufficient richness to convey all of
the information in the content region we needed to convey other than the
Java Accessibility API.  That isn't the case on UNIX or Macintosh (and
so OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta for Mac now uses the Macintosh accessibility
API).  Now that the iAccessible2 interface for Windows is gaining
traction [in large measure because of its use in Lotus Symphony which is
a fork of OpenOffice.org version 1.9; as well as support in Mozilla and
Eclipse], we are working on moving away from using the Java Access
Bridge and over to iAccessible2 for OpenOffice.org on Windows as well.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.