[BRLTTY] Spring cleaning and some lint

HansP pelleboer at versatel.nl
Sun Jun 15 22:28:21 EDT 2008

  From: Peter Korn <Peter.Korn at Sun.COM>

>Subject: Re: [BRLTTY] no more java --but no install either!
>To: "Informal discussion between users and developers of BRLTTY."
>	<brltty at mielke.cc>
>
>Hi Hans,
>
>FYI - OpenOffice.org uses Java for accessibility on Windows because when
>we began making OpenOffice.org accessible in 2000 there was no
>accessibility API on Windows with sufficient richness to convey all of
>the information in the content region we needed to convey other than the
>Java Accessibility API.  That isn't the case on UNIX or Macintosh (and
>so OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta for Mac now uses the Macintosh accessibility
>API).  Now that the iAccessible2 interface for Windows is gaining
>traction [in large measure because of its use in Lotus Symphony which is
>a fork of OpenOffice.org version 1.9; as well as support in Mozilla and
>Eclipse], we are working on moving away from using the Java Access
>Bridge and over to iAccessible2 for OpenOffice.org on Windows as well.
>

>Regards,
>
>Peter Korn
>Accessibility Architect,
>Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Thank you very much Peter,

--That was both enlightening and somewhat disheartening;
July 7 I will be celebrating my twentieth `UNIX birthday',
(guess what; it was on a cluster of Sun 2 stations that I
took my first wobbly steps; I can still hear that distinct
clackity-clack of those keyboards!) and in those days
our main concern was universally portable code --OK, under
BSD ;-) --that was made to last ... little did we know.
I do wish you could have been spared all that extra work.

>I did get hold of the svs version 3.10 and, unfortunately,
>>results were identical to general release 3.9: run-brltty fires
>>up, yet brltty sec can't access the braille terminal.
>

>What, exactly, is meant by "sec"?
>
>What was the full command line and which kind  of braille display was being used?

With sec --that means `dry' for you non-french Canadians ;)--
I meant brltty without the extra functionality that run-brltty seems to
offer.
I tried both  the ABT380 as well as the Voyager 44 with a full set of flags:

brltty -n -b al -d /dev/ttyS0
brltty -n -b vo -d usb:

>If "make distclean" is done then "configure" must be run again.

I know Dave, and I did.

After all failed, I decided to let gentoo clean up their own devices
and they did. Although I could only  trace that their binary had
disappeared from /usr/bin --the .conf file in /etc was still present--
something must have snapped into place, as make install now
ran without a glitch ( after I discovered, that the installation
still required an extra run of install-drivers and the like;
make all definitely didn't cover that.).

Brltty now runs, yet the gentoo usbd daemon is still broken
(I filed a bug report about that) so, somehow the application
manages to get in through the backdoor, which isn't squeaky clean
of course, but for now that's the least of our troubles.

I think we can declare the case closed.
Many thanks for the entertaining exchanges!

Hans