[BRLTTY] Brltty died while trying to work with it in vmware fusion

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Nov 17 02:06:40 EST 2008

[quoted lines by Cheryl Homiak on 2008/11/16 at 11:06 -0600]

>I had installed the newest debian on vmware fusion; as with the other
>debian package and ubuntu, the installation worked beautifully except for
>brltty. Throughout the installation the display made a noise, probably
>when data was coming through rapidly, not a constant noise but an
>intermitent squawk (wish I could find a more definite description). I
>could read lines of braille but when I'd use the advance bar it was hard
>to get to other lines and i'd get percents and numbers and other
>characters. Anyway, this of course continued after installation. Really
>too bad since it installs so easily and nicely with vmware fusion.

I'm familiar with neither vmware nor OS X. It sounds, though, kind of like your
BrailleLite was the victim of some sort of nasty serial port probing sequence
while either vmware or Ubuntu was checking for what hardware was connected.

--
Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | The Bible is the Word of God.