[BRLTTY] using BrlApi with Visual Studio

Thijs Koerselman thijskoerselman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 17:02:30 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Samuel Thibault <
samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> wrote:

> Cool!
> Just being curious: what are you using brlapi for?

I'm trying to create a plugin for Max (www.cycling74.com) to communicate
directly with the braille terminal i/o. Max is a virtual programming
environment which is popular for developing/prototyping creative
applications involving things like music, sound, video and computer
graphics. I want to send text/messages from the Max environment to be
displayed on the terminal, and have the buttons on the terminal call back to
output codes in Max. This way it should be fairly easy to integrate a
braille display with any application build with Max.

But maybe you can help me with a problem I'm having. As it it now, I'm
starting the brltty process from the command line manually (not as a
service). The first time I connect to it from my application it appears to
work. Every time after that I get the message that where are too many
simultaneous connections.

I am calling both brlapi_leaveTtyMode() and brlapi_closeConnection() after
being connected and having written something to the braille display, so I
don't know why there is still a connection remaining.

I thought maybe its wrong to not run it as a service, because I can remember
I had it running as a service before. Now I can't seem to find how to
install it as a service. It is currently not installed as a service anymore,
because I get a message like that when I try to run "net startbrltty.exe".
I've tried to manually install the executable but that gives me the
following error:

C:\Program Files\BRLTTY\bin>installutil brltty.exe
Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 2.0.50727.3053
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Exception occurred while initializing the installation:
System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly
'file:///C:\Prog
ram Files\BRLTTY\bin\brltty.exe' or one of its dependencies. The module was
expe
cted to contain an assembly manifest..

What am I missing?

Cheers,