[BRLTTY] The unknown-character sign (26)

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Nov 23 03:37:44 EST 2008

Hi.

During testing of the german contraction table, I notice a problem
with our unknown-character sign, 26 (the question mark).  26 is used
in german contracted braille as a word-contraction and as a syllable-contraction.
As a result of this, the question mark (26) is only allowed
at the end of a word.  Now, at sites like Wikipedia that use
a lot of unicode hyphens and foreign language characters, it happens
quite a lot that BRLTTY doesn't know the charcode of a character and replaces
it with 26.  However, since 26 is so ambigious in german contracted
braille, this leads to confusion.  My question is, can
we make the unknown-character representation configurable from
within contraction tables?  If no, I'd like to argue
for 12345678 as the new representation for unknown characters.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'