[BRLTTY] Language setting for speech drivers?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Nov 27 12:57:06 EST 2008

Dave Mielke, le Thu 27 Nov 2008 12:42:49 -0500, a écrit :
> >Come to think of it, speech should probably autoswitch language
> >based on the current contraction table in use, since that pretty much implies
> >a specific language already.
>
> I suppose the text table also would imply a language.  If we're
> contracting then we could infer from the contraction table and if
> we're not contracting then we could infer from the text table.

Mmm, maybe not so simple. Does one really want to hear shell things with
a german voice even if one is using a german non-contracted braille
table (for efficiency)? In such a case the user may want to have BRLTTY
automatically use english when using a non-contracted german table, but
switch to german when using the contracted german table.

More generally, I'd tend to let the user define speech/braille
preference profiles, like "I'm working with a shell, so speak english
and output non-contracted german braille", "I'm reading german, so
speak german and output contracted german braille", "I'm reading arabic
(for which I don't have a speech synthesis), so speak german output
non-contracted arabic braille (which I'm currently learning)".

Of course, take that with much salt, as I'm a user neither of speech nor
braille :)

Samuel