[BRLTTY] [Fwd: No braille support when using Alva Satellite via USB (protocol)]

Thijs Koerselman thijskoerselman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 12:14:32 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm currently stuck on the exact same thing. I'm not using NVDA, but I'm
trying to use brltty directly from an application I'm developing. I have the
same braille display and I couldn't get it to work either. I have first
tried USB and later on COM using a USB->COM adapter. Below is my output from
an attempt to run brltty in debug mode from the command line. Today I've
tried a different (older) ALVA device which only has a COM connection but
also without any luck.

I'm using the (unofficial) Windows release of 3.10

Thijs

C:\brltty\bin>brltty -bal -ldebug -e -dserial:COM1
BRLTTY 3.10 [http://mielke.cc/brltty/]

C:\brltty\bin>BRLTTY 3.10 [http://mielke.cc/brltty/]
brltty.exe: Working Directory: C:\brltty\etc\brltty
brltty.exe: Writable Directory: C:/brltty/bin/../lib/brltty/rw
brltty.exe: Configuration File: ../etc/brltty.conf
brltty.exe: Data Directory: C:/brltty/bin/../etc/brltty
brltty.exe: Library Directory: C:/brltty/bin/../lib/brltty
brltty.exe: Tables Directory: C:/brltty/bin/../etc/brltty
brltty.exe: Text Table: text.nabcc.tbl
brltty.exe: Attributes Table: attributes.tbl
brltty.exe: Contractions Directory: C:/brltty/bin/../etc/brltty
brltty.exe: Contraction Table: none
brltty.exe: checking for screen driver: wn
brltty.exe: initializing screen driver: wn
brltty.exe: checking braille device: serial:COM1
brltty.exe: checking for braille driver: al
brltty.exe: initializing braille driver: al -> serial:COM1
brltty.exe: serial device opened: COM1: fd=1816
brltty.exe: braille driver initialization failed: al -> serial:COM1
brltty.exe: braille driver not found
brltty.exe: Braille Display Dimensions: 1 row, 80 columns
brltty.exe: shifts: fwin=80 hwin=40 vwin=5