[BRLTTY] braille doesn't work at all under Ubuntu 8.04.1

Labrador labrad0r at edpnet.be
Thu Sep 4 06:46:11 EDT 2008

Hello Hermann,

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 11:20:18AM +0200, Hermann wrote:
> On 03.09.2008 at 22:41:02 Labrador <labrad0r at edpnet.be> wrote:
> > OK, this is what I tested:
> >
> > becoming su then
> > brltty -b al -d usb:
> > (not USB:)
> >
> > IT WORX!
> >
> > But when I put "usb:" asis without quotes in brltty.conf, Ubuntu still asks
> > me for pressing S / U / B / X while booting up, hm a very annoying problem
> > for a blind person.
> >

> I never faced this, so don't know what's going on here. Do you login
> directly from your laptop or via another PC; you mentioned a Debian PC.

Yes, that's the way I try systematically to resolve the problem of access,
by adding the ssh and openssh-server at the target pc or laptop, then
logging into my account (but you need a sighted person to read the IP of
that remote machine, or you +/- know what address your router uses to give
to the first and only dynamic machine); after that you are user or sudo and
can go ahead with the fix.

> [...]
> > Now I only have to resolve 2 problems:
> > puting another translation table in my config, no one line about it...
> > and the persistent question at boot time...
> >

> Which table?

text-table de  was the one I needed.

>Provided it's French, then put in your brltty.conf:
> text-table fr_FR

Well now about this I'd like to see it implemented in the installer so that
it follow the locale of the first installation (account), so that you can
create a stable system around this problem; examples:
- at the North (flemish part) of Belgium where I live, we use the de table,
while the Brussels people and the South (FR-language part) uses fr_FR;
and ..... a locale is always defined as mm_NN, so the idea should be :
if locale = nl_BE then default table for brailel should be de, if locale =
fr_BE or fr_FR then default braille table should be fr_FR.

I ignore how the current installer does, but if he can select us, then there
must be a way to match the way the installer itself do when you coose for a
country and Keyboard at the boot (live) or install time ?

Once again, this is more a distro (or Ubuntu-Accessibility) issue, maybe we
have to continue this discussion at that list ?

Aldo.