[BRLTTY] braille doesn't work at all under Ubuntu 8.04.1

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Sep 8 08:23:19 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2008/09/08 at 13:54 +0200]

>Luke, this is probably misleading to the ordinary user, because
>basically all the USB connected braille devices which use
>a USB to serial adaptor do so internally.  So the user usually
>has no idea that his device uses a USB to serial adaptor, to the
>user, its just a USB display.  This is also how it is advertised by
>manufacturers or resellers.  The fact that a USB to serial adaptor is
>used internally is a technical detail usually only known by support
>staff or similar.

I don't htink that's what he meant. I think he meant an external USB-serial
adapter. That being said, I think the real problem is that the real problem is
the text displayed by the configuration script. There are at least two.

It shouldn't say to select U for USB when it really means USB-serial. That may
make sense to an impementor but it's not at all intuitive to a user.

Also, selecting Exit when direct USB is being used isn't intuitive either to a
regular user. How does he know that that means to use brltty's default, and,
even if he does, why should he be expected to know what brltty's default is? If
I try to put myself in the place of a really basic user I'd probably guess that
Exit means to cancel the braille setup.

--
Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | The Bible is the Word of God.
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | May 21, 2011, is Judgement Day.