[BRLTTY] Building with Autoconf 2.62

Stepan Kasal kasal at ucw.cz
Thu Sep 11 09:06:29 EDT 2008

Hello,

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 07:32:15AM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by Stepan Kasal on 2008/09/10 at 18:34 +0200]
>
> >Unfortunately, Autoconf version 2.62 does not support this.
>
> Do you know which precise release introduces the change?

2.62, see autoconf-2.62/NEWS

> Is it sufficient to check if AS_HELP_STRING is defined in order to know if the
> newer or the older method should be used?

No, it is not.  AS_HELP_STRING has been introduced in autoconf 2.58.
The code was moved from AC_... to AS_HELP_STRING, and AC_... has been
changed to a compatibility alias.

So when you move to AC_PREREQ([2.58]), you should use the new name instead of
the old one.

> Would it be possible for you to write the extended patch so that it'll work
> both ways?

I'd like to do it eventually.  But I cannot promise anything.

Stepan