[BRLTTY] Building with Autoconf 2.62

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Sep 23 17:09:58 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Stepan Kasal on 2008/09/12 at 21:14 +0200]

>  I have written the patch, find it attached to this mail.

Thank you very much. This patch has now been added to the development stream. I
like the fact that it's not even (autoconf) release-dependent.

>Please bear with me for a moment, the explanation is somewhat longer.

I appreciate your explanations. The detail they contain helps me to understand
clearly what's been done.

>The NEWS file explains that the macro m4_text_wrap was first
>documented in 2.62, after some ``bug fixes or semantic changes.''

That's what I get for trying to figure things out without using the
documentation. :-)

>Then I realized that the above behaviour was a consequence of the
>fact that the parameter PREFIX1 was the long unexpanded string
>containing "m4_format([%-8s " etc.
>Later on, macro brltty_tables_text has been expanded again, so the
>cause of the problem was somewhat masked.

Thank you for figuring that out. I'm sure it'd have taken me qutie some time to
do the same.

>In the patch, I'm using
>   ..., m4_defn([brltty_help_prefix]))
>but
>   ..., []brltty_help_prefix))
>would work as well, choose whatever you like more.
>
>(m4_defn does expand only once, ie. not recursively, and the result
>is quoted.

A nice macro. Maybe I knew about m4_defn() at one time, but I don't recall it.
It's certainly useful.

>I have tested that the patch does work with Autoconf 2.62, and that
>it does not change a byte in the resulting configure with Autoconf
>2.59.  It does apply cleanly to the svn version fo brltty.

Again, thank you. I really do appreciate your help.

--
Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | The Bible is the Word of God.
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | May 21, 2011, is Judgement Day.