[BRLTTY] New displays from Baum?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Apr 17 09:56:32 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by Jason White on 2009/04/17 at 20:07 +1000]

>I've read descriptions of VarioConnect, but not EcoVario and Refreshabraille.
>Nor was Baum's Web site much help. Just for the curious, what is distinctive
>about the latter two?

I can't tell you anything about the EcoVario models because none of them has
crossed my path so far. I asked Baum for an up-to-date list of their USB
vendor/product IDs, and the EcoVario models were in the data they sent me.
Since Baum is very good about sticking to their protocol, about maintaining
backward compatibility, and about making careful and sensible extensions to
their protocol, I'm sure that, whatever EcoVarios are, we do support them
properly.

The Refreshabraille is an 18-cell display manufactured by Baum according to APH
specs. That's why you can't find it on Baum's web site. You can, however, find
it on APH's web site. APH are the people who also develop the ICON and Braille+
PDAs.

The Refreshabraille isn't actually for sale yet. I believe the correct URL for
its web page is:

   http://www.aph.org/tech/rbd_info.htm

It has an 8-dot braille keyboard with a single spacebar. Due to the narrowness
of the 18-cell display, dots 7 and 8 are on either side of the spacebar and are
pressed with the thumbs. There are two long, thin keys, one above dot 3 and the
other above dot 6, which are used for panning left/right. There's a third such
key in the center, in-line with the panning keys, which is used as a second
spacebar. This is because the internal menu allows for the controls to be
reversed so that the devbice can be rotated 180 degrees. Just in front of the
space between dots 1 and 4, but behind the spacebar, is a five-way joystick.
So, from back to front, it looks like this:

  the braille cells
  the routing keys
  pan left (at the left), second space key (centered), pan right (at the right)
  dot 3, dot 2, dot 1, small gap, dot 4, dot 5, dot 6
  five-way joystick (centered)
  dot 7 (under dot 2), space bar, dot 8 (under dot 5)

The power button is in the center of the front surface. Tapping it wakes the
display up from power saving mode. A long press turns the display on/off. When
the display turns on the braille cells give one long vibration - when it turns
off they give two.

The display is battery powered, and charges from the USB port. The USB port is
the small kind, and hides in a hollow place of the bottom under the dot 7 key
with a slot for the cable to come out on the left side. The documentation says
that this is to protect the connector and port should the display be dropped,
and it certainly looks well-designed for that purpose.

>I may be wrong, but I don't recall seeing support for the VarioPro series,
>which I only know from descriptions on the Baum Web site -

That's an oversight on my part. I'll update the release notes. Thanks.