[BRLTTY] Screen reader for mac

james collins james.collins75 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 11:33:17 EDT 2009

Hello,
I own a MacBook pro laptop, currently running mac os x 10.5.7 I might
update to 10.5.8 today. I was just wondering if brltty would be
compatible with my mac? Would I run into any problems with installing
brltty on my mac? I primarily want the screen reader to run at the
command line, I have a program  called terminal on my mac it allows me
to run an unix shell. I own a doubletalk speech synthesizer and I just
bought a USB to serial adaptor cable. Btw I know about VoiceOver, but
I don't want to use it. I have yasr running on my laptop, and I was
able to get it working with freetts using a software based speech
synthesizer, I had sent my doubletalk synthesizer in to rc systems Inc
to get tested. They told me the doubletalk was working correctly, but
when I tried to use yasr my screen reader I ran into problems. Yasr
worked well with freetts but I couldn't get the doubletalk to work
with yasr, sometimes I would get a prompt with yasr and I couldn't
type at the terminal. Other times I could type but like I would type
ls and I would get have a directory listing and yasr would get stuck.
And at no time was I able to get speech out of my doubletalk speech
synthesizer. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone