[BRLTTY] Screen reader for mac

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Tue Aug 11 12:35:58 EDT 2009

How are you planning to run Mac applications without voiceover? Uness
you have a strategy of which I'm ot aware or you have partial vision,
you are going to be severely handicapped to the point of your Mac
applications other than terminal being totally useless without
voiceover. Yes, you ca run brltty in terminal but that won't give you
access to the Mac applications. in my opinion, if you aren't going to
use the Mac apps, you might as well turn your Mac into a linux box. As
for doubletalk, the Mac doesn't have serial ports and I don't think
your doubletalk witll work with a speech program using usb-serial but
I could be wrong about that. I'm not trying to sound harsh or
dogmatic; maybe I'm misunderstanding what yu are trying to do, but I
don't understand how you are planning to use the Mac to any major
extent with voiceover. If you think you will have trouble with
learning voiceover, there's an excellent macvoiceover list on
freelists.org and lots of resources at http://
www.icanworkthisthing.com. There is also braille support with Macosx
but unfortunately not for older devices that use usb-serial. Someday I
hope to ave a supported braille device but that's down the road a piece.

Hth.

--

Cheryl
"Let the words of my mouth,