[BRLTTY] define chars to have multiple cell dots

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Aug 31 13:03:19 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by Jon on 2009/08/31 at 15:38 +0100]

>I have read through the documentation for tables on the homepage, but
>wanted to varify:
>
>There is no way of defining a character to have multiple cells?
>as an example.
>

>char \03B1 46-1 # greek alpha
>
>Which doesnt seem to work with brltty 3.10/3.11

Yes, that's true for text tables. Till now, they've been specifically designed
for one-to-one mapping.

>The contraction tables could possibly be used to give us multi-cell,
>but I dont want to loose 8 dots.

All eight dots can be specified within a contraction table. In fact, the
"always" directive of a contraction table is equivalent to the "char" directive
of a text table except that multiple cells can be specified. Perhaps, to save
on duplication, contraction tables should recognize the "char" directive which
would then let them include text tables.