[BRLTTY] Bluetooth pairing key

Klaus Knopper brltty at knopper.net
Mon Jan 5 11:07:04 EST 2009

Dear Lars,

Answering your question quoted below.

Usully, you need an application that listens on dbus for key requests
and provides a pin to hcid on-demand. A sample console application for
this is passkey-agent.c, which is provided with the bluez-utils source.

In Debian, bluez-utils knows an "inofficial" method for providing the
bluetooth pin. Now it MAY be that it works with Fedora as well:

Create a file
/var/lib/bluetooth/your-adapters-bluetooth-address/pincodes
(the directory should exist as soon as you plug in a bluetooth adapter,
hcid creates it for you), with the following content:

remote-bluetooth-address pinnumber

remote-bluetooth-address being the MAC-like address of your
bluetooth-capable braille device, and pin being the fixeed pairing key
that was provided with the device.

After successful pairing, you may be able to safely delete the pincodes
file, since the session key for reconnecting without new pairing is
stored by hcid.

Regards
-Klaus Knpper