[BRLTTY] Bluetooth pairing key

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Mon Jan 5 18:53:02 EST 2009

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

> [quoted lines by Klaus Knopper on 2009/01/05 at 17:07 +0100]
>
>>Usully, you need an application that listens on dbus for key requests
>>and provides a pin to hcid on-demand. A sample console application for
>>this is passkey-agent.c, which is provided with the bluez-utils source.
>
> Since I happen to have a Bluetooth-capable braille display here right now I'll
> also try adding similar code to brltty's Bluetooth support. Unless anyone has a
> better suggestion, it'll probably work by appending a slash and the PIN to the
> device specifier. For example, in brltty.conf it'd be:
>
>    braille-device bluetooth:address/pin

I am all for it.  The topic came up (and we discussed this) a few
times already.  While the security implications are not great to say
the least, it would be just so much easier to configure a bluetooth
braille device this way.  After all, most hacks to get it going
via passkey-agent.c and some self-rolled startup scripts will
also very likely expose the PIN to a potential attacker in some ways.
As an added security measure, we could check if /etc/brltty/brltty.conf
is world-readable in case we encounter a PIN specified and warn the
user about the fact.  Documenting the issue is probably enough though.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'