[BRLTTY] Using Seika 40 braille display under Ubuntu

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Jan 8 06:17:39 EST 2009

[quoted lines by Michel such on 2009/01/08 at 08:40 +0100]

>I am a very new Ubuntu user.
>
>Currently, I run it using Orca/Espeak as accessibility tool.
>I Can't even figure out how to get on a text console with ORCA.

You can't. Orca is a screen reader for the X environment.

>So, my question would be which steps should I complete to install a new brltty
>from repository?

Theere's information about how to do that on the Download page of brltty's web
site, but it's basically like this:

Decide where you'd like to build brltty. Let's say it's in the brltty/
subdeirectory of your home directory. If so, then check out a copy of the most
recent development release of brltty with the following commands:

   # either log in or change back to your home directory
   svn checkout svn://mielke.cc/main/brltty brltty
   cd brltty

Now you have to prepare this directory for building brltty on your particular
system. Do this with the following commands:

   ./autogen
   ./configure -q

Now, build brltty with this command:

   make -s

Check for any odd-looking output along the way, and let us know about it if you
see any. If all goes well then we'll proceed to the next step (which is
choosing where to install it and then using it).

In your checked out copy, by the way, you'll find notes on how to use your
Seika with brltty. They're in the file README.Seika, which can be found within
the brltty/Documents/ subdirectory.