[BRLTTY] Looking for a program to translate braille files between different text tables

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Wed Jan 28 17:52:37 EST 2009

Alastair Irving, le Wed 28 Jan 2009 21:21:32 +0000, a écrit :
> I have several braille files which use the German text table to
> represent the different braille cells.  Thus to read them I have to
> switch brltty to the text.de.tbl table.  This is rather inconvenient so
> I was wondering if anyone knows of a program which can translate between
> different text tables.

Not that I know of, but maybe we could add a filtering feature to
ttbtest: in one way, given some text on stdin, it produces dots on
stdout, either unicode braille dots if the locale permits it, or else
standard nabcc brf. The other way around to convert back dots to text.
That way you could do want you are asking (e.g. from german braille to
french braille) this way:

ttbtest -f de < file.de | ttbtest -F fr > file.fr

Note that if you are in a utf-8 environment, you can also just use

ttbtest -f de < file.de > file.utf-8

and file.utf-8 will be readable whatever the table in use, as it will
contain plain braille patterns.

Samuel