[BRLTTY] about descchar binding

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Jan 31 11:09:23 EST 2009

[quoted lines by 高生旺 on 2009/01/31 at 22:19 +0800]

>No. It's fault of Chinese braille.
>Our braille system is based on Pronunciation
>In unihan, you may find that many characters have same Pronunciation in
>kMandarin, such as 9000 and 99FE, 3703 and 3751 and 37CC and 37FF and 385B
>......... and so on.
>You may imagine how it make us trouble in reading.

Since the braille already shows the pronunciation, what if we just show the
English definition. That should clarify which word it is. Would that be
sufficient?

Another question for my curiosity: If the braille is the same for two
characters then wouldn't that also mean that the spoken pronunciation is the
same? If so, then wouldn't spoken Chinese have the same problem? How is that
resolved?

I know that Chinese shows the difference between words by the tone in which
they are spoken. Does the braille representation also show the tone?