[BRLTTY] about descchar binding

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sat Jan 31 13:17:33 EST 2009

高生旺, le Sat 31 Jan 2009 22:19:33 +0800, a écrit :
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Then it's a bug in unihan and we should report it.
> No. It's fault of Chinese braille.
> Our braille system is based on Pronunciation

There's a misunderstanding: I'm not actually talking about braille. We
are talking about descchar showing information about the unicode
character being displayed. I have said that unihan probably has useful
information, but I now realize that it only provides the english
meaning and mandarin/korean/japanese pronunciation, and you actually
already know the pronunciation since that's precisely what the braille
representation expresses. So Unihan is missing a piece of information
that you want: some text that describes the character itself, and that's
the bug which I'm talking about.

I wonder: of course it's not fine for chinese people who do not know
english, but wouldn't be the english description enough? (i.e. for
U+9000, "step back, retreat, withdraw", you can just grep kDefinition
Unihan.txt to get them all).

Samuel