[BRLTTY] Contraction error and patch: Cheatham, Good

Lee Maschmeyer leemer1 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 5 20:14:55 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I don't think the name Cheatham is supposed to use the th sign. In my
Web-Braille collection there's one instance of Cheatham that uses it,
but 3 instances that don't. I suspect the don'ts are correct:

 ,bo/on law firm ( ,dewey1 ,*1tham &
next morn+71 ,}9 ,*1tham's son ran
,*1thams 6,rome4 ,once "!1 he le>n$ t

Of considerably more, or perhaps less, interest is the word
Good. First, to handle names like Osgood and Hapgood, I suggest making
this a sufword. But it gets depressing when you find that if Good is
part of a proper name, it's not supposed to be contracted. Personally
I don't see anything wrong with using it in names like Goodwin or
Goodrich, but according to the rules it can't be done. But it gets
really ridiculous when you get to things like Goodwill. If it's
someone's name it should not be contracted, but if it's "Goodwill
toward all", it should. I started plugging all the holes I could think
of, but when I started getting names like Goodchild and Goodhue I gave
up.

So, I don't know how many, if any, of these "good" changes you want to
bother with.

Have fun,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll