[BRLTTY] alert tones

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Mar 13 19:31:30 EDT 2009

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:

> The default PCM support is for OSS. If you'd rather use ALSA then you have to
> configure brltty at build time with:
>
>    --enable-pcm-support=alsa

What's the main problem preventing this from being the default at the moment?

My experience is that OSS fails if there are other sounds being played on the
audio device, whereas ALSA can handle this, so I have an active campaign here
to get rid of everything that uses OSS rather than ALSA. It turns out that
most OSS applications are rather old and haven't been updated for a long time,
whereas newer code uses ALSA instead.