[BRLTTY] existing and not existing braille-tables, what are the righ ones?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Mar 17 11:52:29 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by Labrador on 2009/03/17 at 16:32 +0100]

>PS: IMHO it's a bad idea to give such a long names to text-tables, how
>shorter how better.

I agree with you.

>BTW if no-generic is really generic, then "no" would be good enough;

Actually, no-oub is the official standard so no should be the same as no-oub.
I'll fix that.

>idem
>for other languages no matter whichone.

I just did an audit of the names and no was the only one in that state.

>I repeat, its much more blindfriendlier for the "boot:" moment on CDs/DVDs;
>btw due to the qwerty keyboard, not all people are able to pass such very
>long entries.
>If continuing in this way, one day I'm afraid to have to enter at boot:
>brltty=albatrossdisplay,USB:,french_from_France

I'm in complete agreement with you. The Norwegian text table was the only one
which didn't have a basic name, and that was an oversight. Thank you for
bringing it to my attention.

>Keep it as short as possible, and keep standard without any - or _.

Yes, for the standard tables. We do offer optional tables, and such delimiters
within the names are useful in those cases.

>IMHO:
>en_US was standard, so en should be the standard, not en_US,

Actually, we use NABCC for the standard English table. What we do is make en
include en-nabcc.

>same for other languages. There is always a standard in each language!

Yes. For example, fr includes fr-2007.