[BRLTTY] Attribute cursor.

Hermann meinelisten at onlinehome.de
Tue Mar 17 12:22:24 EDT 2009

On 17.03.2009 at 17:00:05 Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:

> [quoted lines by Hermann on 2009/03/17 at 16:39 +0100]
>
>>In SBL, there are settings files - so called profiles - to define which
>>color combination is defined as an attribute. It is possible to set
>>several such attributes, and you can define how many of them are watched
>>- regularly one.
>
> One profile per program? I doubt that works all the time because one program
> can run another one, e.g. screen or telnet.

I guess for this case there's the possibility to select several
attributes be watched.
But in fact there is one profile for one program.
And I think when one programm calls another, you simply have to set up a
profile for that new one. Only one program is in the forground, or am I
wrong?

> So let's design what brltty should support. Should we go the sbl route and have
> program profiles and attempt to figure out which program is currently running?
> Another possibility is to have a routing key based command which instructs
> brltty to use the attributes of the selected character when searching for an
> attribute cursor. Are there any other alternatives to consider?

I thin the second solutio is not that good, since such an attribute
cursor can match several characters.
So I would prefer the SBL way.
But in general: How do Brltty users handle such programs like the
alsamixer or mc?
Are they simply be ignored?
Hermann