[BRLTTY] Contraction error: Nosed

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Mar 26 13:50:47 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2009/03/26 at 13:11 -0400]

>In dealing with "nosedive" the word nose was given sufword status. This
>breaks nosed and noser. (The latter isn't a word apparently but is a
>character name in a comic and television series.)

There is the verb "brown-nose", which essentially means "to suck up to", i.e.
to feign honour or friendship in an attempt to gain some favour. One who
"brown-noses" would be called a "brown-noser".

>Using the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" theory I figured I'd leave nosedive
>and friends alone and just plug nosed and noser. Not sure if this is optimal
>but not sure that can be answered anyway.

Yes, probably with sufword as "noser" could be followed by "s" (they're all a
bunch of brown-nosers), and "nosed" could theoretically be followed by "ly"
(they pursue their goals brown-nosedly).