[BRLTTY] some charactars don't show

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 28 20:11:19 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:58:21AM +1100, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:34:17AM +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> > On my braille display, when I read some charactars eg. accented
> > charactars, I just see a ? mark on my braille display. I think the
> > terminal displays a null char... So how can I fix this so more
> > charactars show? And I don't get the null charactars?
>
> One trick that works for some characters is to pass it through iconv
> --to ascii//translit.  This will convert latin-1 accents to unaccented
> approximations, and smart quotes and em/en dashes to ASCII quotes and
> hyphens.

Ah cool, thanks. turns out that it's brltty, because if I change the
braille code, I get the charactars to show up.

My question now is: how do I type say an accented char? eg. in a text
editor? Or can I use the special quotes/brackets?

> This trick is also useful for festival, which is too dumb to
> understand non-ASCII unless you use special magic that I always
> forget.

Ah cool, I don't use speech myself except for a bit of emacspeak and
espeak sometimes, mainly braille, but good to know.

Thanks!

Daniel.