[BRLTTY] Swift compilation error with gcc-4.4

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu May 14 04:29:33 EDT 2009

Mario Lang, le Thu 14 May 2009 09:28:44 +0200, a écrit :
> > I can not reproduce the issue,
>
> That is because you probably don't have swift installed.

I faked its presence by creating a /usr/include/swift.c.  Of course I
get a lot of errors, but not the one you mention, which is earlier than
what I'm getting.

> The use of C++ comes from this Makefile.in fragment in
> Drivers/Speech/Swift:
>
> speech.$O:
> 	$(CXX) $(SPK_CXXFLAGS) -I$(SWIFT_ROOT)/include -c $(SRC_DIR)/speech.c

Oh, ok.  Is there really a reason for compiling in c++ mode here?  I
haven't seen C++ code in there.  What happens on my machine is that it
just uses gcc-4.4, which compiles the .c in C mode.

> > how are you setting it?  linking gcc, or CC=gcc-4.4 ./configure, or
> > something else?
>
> As explained in my original posting, I use
> CC=gcc-4.4 CXX=g++-4.4 ./configure

Ok, now I'm getting it.  A colleague told me that there actually is no
way to make g++ accept .name=content initializers.  Could you check that
CXX=gcc-4.4 compiles it just fine (i.e. we can just compile it in C mode)?

Samuel