[BRLTTY] Java Bindings DOT8

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed May 27 01:23:15 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by Simon Meers on 2009/05/27 at 12:59 +1000]

>I had already patched mine by changing Constants.java to define DOT8 as
>-0200, which worked perfectly.

That, actually, in my opinion, isn't a good way to do it. It only works by
accident for that exact value. Let's say, for example, that we were defining
DOT7, which is 0100. -0100 would be 0277.

>Even if they were chars, wouldn't you get compilation errors when trying to
>pack them into a byte[] array (signed) for writeDots?

Yes, of course. I was suffering from bilingual confusion, i.e. thinking of a
char as it's used in C. Those DOTn constants should really be defined as bytes,
which they now are. Even then, of course, using 0200 as an initializer fails.
Type-casting the constant as a byte, however, works fine. Please retest again.

>I've svn up'd to r4503, but cannot see any Java-related changes?

Constants.java is generated. The actual change is in constants.awk.