[BRLTTY] OOOPS! something really wrong with the driver or my Optelec

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Nov 11 14:12:52 EST 2009

[quoted lines by Aldo on 2009/11/11 at 19:08 +0100]

>That had worked but after having tried the up down cursor keys, i was on top
>of the screen and suddenly the BC640 stopped with moving, only the text line
>on top of that screen was showed but no any movement in the keys.

Is this always the way to cause the hang? If you can give me a way that will
always cause the problem then it may be easier for me to figure out what the
cause is.

>Power of, power on, ALVA BC640 ready etc message, but nothing more.

I don't think that powering it off and on fully resets the USB connection
because the BC640 contains a couple of internal storage devices. To fully reset
it you need to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable.

>No, I don't know at all how to enter in its menu.

You need to press three of the smartpad keys at the same time to enter the
BC640's menu. They are the left and right inner long keys and the bottom key at
the center. To leave the menu, press the leftmost long key on the smartpad.

>AFter the problem occured again this morning, I plugged out and again in the
>usb cable but it doesn't restarted brltty or so, no beeps, no braille
>prompt:~# or so.

What if you do both, i.e. replug the cable and restart brltty?

>But I discovered that halting the laptop suddenly showed BRLTTY terminated
>as message and that's very strange.

I wonder if that means that something is causing brltty to actually shut down
rather than hang.

>> of the two displays. Then, ionstead of specifying -dusb:, add the serial
>> number, e.g. -dusb:12345.
>
>Hm, in this example you are talking about a serial 12345 while the bluetooth
>param in brltty.conf specifies xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx  so its not clear to me.

For Bluetooth, the data part of the device name is the Bluetooth Device Address
whereas for USB it's the device's serial number.

>And for USB (it's currently USB connected, not bt) I don't know how I should
>know the serial of my Satellite: I have always used braille-device usb:

I don't remember if the Satellite's menu tells you the serial number or not.
The BC640's menu, however, does show you its serial number.

I'm sure you can find the Satellite's serial nmber via lsusb, although you may
need to use its -v (verbose) option.

Do (without the qutoes) "lsusb -v". Check the lines which start with the word
"iProduct" until you find the one for your Satellte. The very next line should
start with the word "iSerial", and should contain the serial number.

>> you can run more than one brltty at the same time without a problem.
>
>I don't understand what this means: is it supposed concerning
>/etc/brltty.conf ?
>if so can you give me an example please ?
>Since English isn't my mother language I'm sure I'll much better understand
>with an example than by theory, appology.

You don't need to apologize for not understanding English very well. I suspect
that I understand your native language even less. :-)

Let's say that your Satellite has the serial number 1234, and that your BC640
has the serial number 5678. You can safely start two brltty's if you do it like
this:

   brltty -bal -dusb:1234
   brltty -bal -dusb:5678

>> Yes. SmartpadF1+Thumb1 goes to the top-left, and SmartpadF1+Thumb5 goes
>>to the
>> bottom-left.
>
>Is smartpad f1 the key in center of the navigation pad ?

The center key is called Enter. The four keys around the Enter key are called
Left, Up, Right, and Down. The four long keys, from left to right, are called
F1, F2, F3, and F4. F1, therefore, is the outer left key, F2 is the inner left
key, F3 is the inner right key, and F4 is the outer right key.

Assuming that the BC640 is working with brltty, pressing F1 by itself will
toggle you to/from the help page for the BC640.