[BRLTTY] braille displays as well as braille maths

Daniel Dalton d.dalton at iinet.net.au
Thu Nov 19 02:41:21 EST 2009

Hi,

I'm considering the purchase of a Brailliant braille display,
manufactured by Baum I believe. A few questions:
1. What are the advantages to this display over the braille note? Just
the fact it is smaller, lighter and just a braille display? I know the
battery life is also much better.
2. Is bluetooth, serial and usb connections supported by brltty with
this display.

Another few questions I have, I'm doing high school maths at school, and
considered the idea of having all my braille  maths on computer, not in
a braille text book.
1. Is the use of a brf file the go here? Or am I best of with a word
document or something? I was sent a brf file today and it looks very
good. I'm still interested to hear any thoughts on this though.
2. How should I write my answers, so they can be read by my teacher? I
have been suggested latex -- what are your thoughts? Is latex a good
option, is it efficient to use will I be on the same playing field as my
sighted mates? Or is a word document in openoffice or just plain text or
something the go?
3. The class are learning to use the CAS calculator next year, what is
the best solution to this? Are there any good cas calculators available
on linux that I could muck around with? I believe they are putting in
quadratic formulaes and witnessing a parabola drawn on screen, but I may
be mistaken.

A final question, I will be moving around all day, between 6 and 7 class
rooms a day on average, is it practical to carry a braille display with
me and set it up? As in I probably have 1 minute to get my stuff out and
ready. Perhaps not even that and the same time to pack up. So if I used
a bluetooth connection how much mucking around is there to get things
working? Basically is this setup practical in an environment, where I am
moving every hour?

I would be interested to hear any thoughts for any of this, so I can at
least start playing around with some of this stuff.

Thanks for your help

--
Cheers,
Dan