[BRLTTY] How to get grade 2 english braille output in the console?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Sep 21 08:52:01 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by Jennifer on 2009/09/20 at 16:44 +0100]

>Firstly I would like to know how to display grade 2 english braille in the
>console using either one of the displays.

First, you need to select which contraction table you'd like to use. Select
en-us-g2 for grade 2 English. You can select it via the -c command line option
or via the contraction-table directive in "/etc/brltty.conf". You can also
change the currently selected contraction table via the preferences menu.

Then you need to activate the 6-dot braille feature. You can toggle between
6-dot and 8-dot braille as follows:

On the PAC Mate: By presisng hot key 4. There are eight hot keys, numbered from
left to right. They are the eight keys in the middle of the back row of routing
keys between the two vertical bars. Hot key 4, therefore, is the key just to
the left of the center dot.

On the Alva BC680: By pressing the left key of the smartpad. It's the key just
to the left of the center "select" key.

>I herd that a keystroke on the display will set this option but I can not find
>what it is.

Do you know how to get to the help page and to interactive command learn mode?

>Also which version of braille TTY should I use in order to get the BC680
>drivers?

You need brltty-4.0 for Alva BC support. There's an issue with the BC firmware,
however, insofar as Linux is concerned. Which version of its firmware does
yours have? It may not work if the firmware version is 1.6 or older, or if its
later than 2.02. The good news is that the manufacturer, as of late last week,
believes that this problem has now been resolved, but, of course, would like to
put the new firmware through proper and formal testing procedures before
releasing it.

>Is there a git repository where I can obtain the latest stable release and/or
>development/test releases?

We always welcome users to use our latest development code, which is usually
plenty stable enough. It's in a subversion repository at:

   svn://mielke.cc/main/brltty