[BRLTTY] make drivers a library?

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Tue Sep 22 13:32:40 EDT 2009

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yet another person on the NVDA list wanted to re-implement a driver for
> some braille device because he doesn't want to have to run both brltty
> and nvda at the same time.

Erm... Why?

> Of course, it's a better thing to use the brlapi facility as this
> permits to run several readers, dedicated applications, etc. but for
> the casual user this seems superfluous considering the difficulty of
> installing both brltty and nvda (yes, I believe we got to a very simple
> way to achieve that, but two applications is still too much for casual
> users).

I don't buy that for a minute.  Windows has plenty of installer kits to
chose from, making all the underlying
programs/services/components/whatnot bundled and installed together with
no distinction unless the user really wants to dig.  Most games will
package DirectX and install it unless there is already a newer version
installed already for example.

Also, if NVDA relies on BRLTTY to work properly then it should ensure
BRLTTY is running and start it otherwise, all by itself.  This is not
rocket science.

> As a result, I yet more and more believe that brltty should export its
> drivers through a library too, even with an simple interface similar
> to libbrlapi/libbraille.

Are they thinking the same about the Windows speech API?

> Else I fear dispersion of hardware support
> efforts.

If the effort needed to make proper integration of BRLTTY/BRLAPI for a
better NVDA user experience is greater than plain driver duplication,
then I'm afraid that making a proper library interface would be an even
greater effort (except that the effort is now shifted to BRLTTY
developers instead).

> What do people think?

I think this is the wrong solution for a valid issue.

Nicolas