[BRLTTY] make drivers a library?

James Teh jamie at jantrid.net
Tue Sep 22 17:39:11 EDT 2009

On 23/09/2009 7:28 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> James Teh, le Wed 23 Sep 2009 07:19:40 +1000, a écrit :
>> To throw another spanner in the works, the fact that BRLTTY needs to be
>> run as a service (in order to detach from the console and exit properly)
> Oh, it is needed for console stuff too?  I have to admit I've never
> tested but I thought it was necessary for USB access only.
Actually, I don't think it needs to be run as a service for USB access -
it just requires libusb-win32 to be installed - but I could be wrong.

> Do you
> remember which problems are posed by brltty started from the command
> line and detaching itself from it?
Windows doesn't have the Unix concept of process "signals". When running
from the console, you can hit ctrl+c and BRLTTY will be notified.
However, once detached, there's no specific mechanism to notify a
console application that it should exit gracefully. This comes from the
fact that Windows is primarily a GUI environment, so the solution in
Windows is normally to have a window which can receive window messages.

Jamie

--
James Teh
Email/MSN Messenger/Jabber: jamie at jantrid.net