[BRLTTY] make drivers a library?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Tue Sep 22 18:31:35 EDT 2009

Nicolas Pitre, le Tue 22 Sep 2009 17:28:38 -0400, a écrit :
> > > You're kidding or what?  Or maybe Windows is such a strange environment
> > > that starting/stopping daemons is such a big deal?
> >
> > For a casual user, it is.
>
> I think I'm not making myself understood.
>
> For a _human»_ user having to manually start BRLTTY beforehand is
> stupid.

Ok, that's indeed not what I had understood.

> > Now, another issue is "portability" in windows terms: users want to be
> > able to throw nvda+brltty on a USB key and easily start them on any
> > computer after just plugging the key in. Yes, they could just start
> > brltty and then NVDA, but apparently it's still some blocker for casual
> > users. NVDA could start BRLTTY itself, of course, but James is reluctant
> > to do that due to the potential issues it could bring.
>
> Hence my assertion that BrlAPI should be the agent taking care of that.

And assume that if BRLTTY is not already installed on the hard drive it
should start the brltty.exe lying around?

> > > Should be possible to configure compilation of BRLTTY+BrlAPI to
> > > achieve just that without having to write interface code.
> >
> > You mean by using something like a pipe inside the process itself, on
> > which the BrlAPI protocol will flow?
>
> Exact!

Wow, if Frans J. Pop was hearing you he would surely have a heart
attack, as it's a particularly not optimized solution for embedded
environments. You could even not have threads available...

Samuel