[BRLTTY] make drivers a library?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Tue Sep 22 20:36:35 EDT 2009

Nicolas Pitre, le Tue 22 Sep 2009 20:15:31 -0400, a écrit :

> > > Hence my assertion that BrlAPI should be the agent taking care of that.
> >
> > And assume that if BRLTTY is not already installed on the hard drive it
> > should start the brltty.exe lying around?
>
> What do you mean by "not installed" if there is a brltty.exe lying
> around?

On the hard drive, not on the USB key from which NVDA is started.

> If BRLTTY is not installed then there isn't much the human user nor
> BrlAPI can do about it, no?

Ideally things could be started directly from the USB key without having
to install anything on the machine.

> I'm sure BrlAPI could follow the same model, from the static and
> single threaded and single instance model up to the current multi
> client with independent daemon model.

This is quite more than the mere reconfiguration you were evoking at
first. And since the whole purpose of the BrlAPI server is to handle
concurrent access to the braille device, in the case of brltty being a
library it becomes moot, and it'd be simpler to just disable it all and
directly plug the brlapi library interface onto the core, thus just an
interface matter as I said.

Samuel