[BRLTTY] make drivers a library?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Sep 27 07:16:45 EDT 2009

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Yet another person on the NVDA list wanted to re-implement a driver for
> some braille device because he doesn't want to have to run both brltty
> and nvda at the same time.

A casual user wouldn't even notice that two services were
running/installed if the underlying complexity were hidden from them properly.

[...]

> As a result, I yet more and more believe that brltty should export its
> drivers through a library too, even with an simple interface similar
> to libbrlapi/libbraille.  Else I fear dispersion of hardware support
> efforts.

Well, the situation is already downhill.  AFAIK, HandyTech
has written its own driver for NVDA.
So while everything was there already, they rather chose to reinvent the
wheel.  Same applies for the BC6 series if I am not totally mistaken right now.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'