[BRLTTY] Appending NUL to cat

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Sep 28 16:12:04 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by james collins on 2009/09/28 at 13:29 -0400]

>I looked at the man page for echo and bash, I have a hard time reading man
>pages,

What difficulties are you having when you read them?

>but for echo I don't have -e, it just has -n? Is -e part of bash?

Different shells implement the echo command in different ways. While the basic
echo command is portable, the options aren't always the same from shell to
shell. To find out which shell you're running, issue the following command:

   echo $SHELL

Note that SHELL in the command above is in uppercase.

If you put it all in a script, however, the shell you're running doesn't matter
because the shell you specify on the first line of the script, i.e. on the
#!/bin/whatever line, will be used when the script is run.