[BRLTTY] BRLTTY 4.2 with speech-dispatcher 0.7

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Sun Aug 1 09:32:55 EDT 2010

Hello Dave,

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote on Sa, Jul 31, 2010 at 11:59:57 -0400:
>[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2010/07/31 at 12:52 +0200]
>
>>speech-dispatcher 0.7 is supporting unix sockets. I think it's a neat thing to
>>have, especially when you're using a single-user computer. I'm only wondering
>>whether BRLTTY currently supports that. A brief look into the configuration says
>>it's not. Am I wrong? If not, could it be added to BRLTTY?
>
>Brltty just uses the Speech Dispatcher client library. All the magic happens
>within the sd code. If you're using a static executable then you'll need to
>rebuild it against sd-0.7.
>
>I know that sd-0.7 contains a significant change in how it deals with sockets.
>My understanding is that it's somehow user-specific. Since brltty runs as root,
>it may be, therefore, that you need a root sd running as well as your user
>instance.
Okay, that's nearly what I expected. So it makes more sense to use
speech-dispatcher as a system service with a TCP socket. (I can't see any
advantage in using a unix socket system wide).

Thanks
Sebastian
--
Test the free Latin-German dictionary | Teste das freie Latein-Deutsch-Wörterbuch!
Online: http://dict.uni-leipzig.de/dictd?Form=dict3&Database=lat-deu