[BRLTTY] Help needed

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Dec 4 11:50:15 EST 2010

[quoted lines by 高生旺 on 2010/12/04 at 16:23 +0800]

>My /mnt is just a directory, not mounted media.

I'm not sure of your intent so I'll speak to what's conventionally done. /mnt
is intended to be a directory which contains mount points. This means that you
need to decide where you'd like to actually mount your removable media that
contains brltty, and then specify that directory, rather than /mnt, as the
value for --with-execute-root. For example, maybe you'd like to mount your
removable media containing brltty as /mnt/brltty. In that case, you should
specify --with-execute-root=/mnt/brltty. Now, of course, for this case you're
(correctly, in my opinion) specifying --enable-relocatable-install, so
--with-execute-root won't really matter at run-time and ultimately only affects
where make install will put the files.

Now to your log file:

>2010-12-04 at 16:11:29.026 Configuration File: ../../etc/brltty.conf

While this isn't your problem, it's very helpful to me. I now finally
understand why users have been having problems with
--enable-relocatable-install. At least in your case, it's miscalculating the
relative path from the executable to the configuration file, which means that
the system settings aren't being picked up.

2010-12-04 at 16:11:29.048 checking for screen driver: lx
2010-12-04 at 16:11:29.048 screen driver not loadable: lx
2010-12-04 at 16:11:29.048 screen driver not found

It looks like you're running brltty from the build tree rather than from the
installed location. This won't work because it's looking for the screen driver
in the expected location relative to the executable, and, when invoked from
anywehre other than the install location, it won't find it. If what you want is
a standalone executable to be usable for system recovery (I think that's what
you said), then you should build in the desired screen driver. You can build in
the Linux screen driver by specifying --with-screen-driver=lx. Note that if
you're building for either Cygwin or Windows then you want the wn (not the lx)
screen driver.

2010-12-04 at 16:11:29.112 checking for braille driver: vo
2010-12-04 at 16:11:29.112 braille driver not loadable: vo
2010-12-04 at 16:11:29.112 braille driver not found

It's the same problem here - it's not finding the Voyager braille driver
because you're probably invoking brltty from the build tree. Strictly speaking,
this shouldn't be happening because I believe you're intending to build it in
by specifying --with-braille-driver=vo. Perhaps you either forgot it or
misspelled the option this time.

I think you may have said, at one point, that you actually wanted two braille
drivers built in. You can build in both of them (really, any number of them) by
specifying a comma-delimited list. For example, you could specify
--with-braille-driver=vo,ht,pm. You could, of course, just build in all of the
braille drivers by specifying --with-braille-driver=all.