[BRLTTY] Display not responding

Simon Meers drmeers at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 00:39:47 EST 2010

This is probably a simple oversight on my part, but for some reason brlapi
programs that I had working fine a few months back have stopped working.

Running brltty looks like this:

$ sudo brltty -n
> BRLTTY 4.2dev rev 4963M [http://mielke.cc/brltty/]
> brltty: Linux Screen Driver:
> brltty: BrlAPI Server: release 0.5.4
> brltty: Papenmeier Braille Driver:
> brltty: NoSpeech Speech Driver:
> brltty: BrlAPI connection fd=9 accepted: local <unnamed>

The Papenmeier display shows "BRLTTY 4.2dev rev 4963M" for 4 seconds, then
"screen not in text mode" -- the latter message is sustained indefinitely,
and calls to writeText, etc seem to be ignored completely. The same
behaviour results using the XWindows Braille Driver. Reading keys is equally
fruitless. The connection seems to be made OK, but doesn't do anything. From
the client side:

Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Dec  7 2009, 18:45:15)
> [GCC 4.4.1] on linux2
> 73652119
> 0

Could someone please enlighten me as to what I am missing?

Cheers,
Simon